I love to make recipes at home that are healthier and better for you, plus you know what is going into it! I found a recipe for black bean burgers when I was tired of buying them at the store. I tweaked it a bit to make it healthier and its super easy to make, plus very tasty! You can cook this in the oven, on the grill or the stove. If you grill, lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. Cook for 8-10 minutes on each side.
- 1 can of black beans drained
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/8 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon chili power
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Cut up pepper and onions and place in food processor
- Finely chop the mixture not so it is blended but diced into small pieces
- Take out of the processor and place aside in a bowl
- Drain the black beans and place in food processor
- Follow the steps before to chop them up finely. Some will turn into a mush which is fine but don’t mush the whole batch.
- Take out of food processor and place in bowl with pepper/onion mixture
- Stir together the egg and spices. Once completed, mix in the wheat germ and oat flour until the mixture is sticky and holds together.
- Divide mixture into four-five patties and prep for cooking! Once done, pop on a bun with some lettuce and avocado and you have yourself a tasty dinner!