Ironman Texas


The Woodlands, TX

April 28, 2018

Finish Time: 12:10:41

Ironman Texas, my second Ironman, and a PR! I had been putting in the training since December and I was very proud of my outcome. After dealing with major anxiety attacks that put me in a rut where I didn’t want to train for a few weeks, I finally was able to get back on the horse and complete what I set out and paid to do!

I headed out to the Woodlands in Texas on Thursday, north of Houston with my husband and mom in tow. I chose this race because it was flat, early in the year and in a great location for family to watch. This race takes place on a Saturday which I actually really enjoyed because I was able to relax on Sunday at the hotel before we headed home. We stayed at the Marriott Woodlands, right on the canal and the host hotel for the race. I booked it far in advance which is why I was able to get a reservation and at the race price. I highly recommend the hotel. They have room service, parking, restaurants, and great location to finish line. The start is a half a mile away.

I had to fly out on Thursday because that was the last day for check-in. I headed over to the expo which was located in the finish line area so very close to the hotel (and perfect for post-race day finisher jacket pickup). I went to pick up my bib and attend the athlete meeting. I also went to make sure my bike was in working shape after checking it on the plane (come back to that later). After everything was done I went back to the hotel to hang out before dinner. We went to a local Mexican place on the canal that was delicious and then went to one of the bars afterward to hang out before bed.

The next day consisted of checking in my bike and my bags, grabbing lunch with my mom and then hanging out for the rest of the day. While taking my bike to check-in, I noticed that my tire was not fully inside the rim. So I


deflated it and had a bike tech guy at check-in re-pump to see if it was ok. It appeared to be fine so I checking it my bike, deflated the tires a little and left. Later that night my mom and I went to dinner and shopping. We found a Lululemon store near the hotel where they were selling Swim Bike Run Texas shirts, I had to get one!

Race Day

Usually, I get to transition about an hour before the race starts. The race starts at 6:40am and transition closes at 6:15am. I got to transition around 5:30am and started getting my bike prepped. I put air in the tires, put my water bottles on my bike, filled my water bladder, nutrition etc. But then I noticed something. My tire was not inside the rim again. So I deflated it then pumped it back up. Same deal. I did it three more times and then I heard the awful sound, pssssssss. Yeah blew my tube. So I took my bike over to the bike tech guys to make sure it wasn’t a wheel problem. Thank goodness for my medicine because I was not freaking out. I waited in line, they put in a new tube and pumped it up, and everything was fine. I had about 5 minutes left until I had to leave transition. I ran back to my spot, made sure everything was good to go on my bike and I left. I met back up with mom and she then freaked me out because she didn’t think the bike tech-filled my tired all the way. So I ran back in, he said he did and all was good. Then I hauled ass to the start line which was about a mile away walking. I went and dropped off my aid station bags quickly because the race was about to begin. Then I went to the bathroom which I had to wait behind the spectators in line. FYI if you are a spectator, wait until all the racers start to use the portapotties.

Swim: 1:24:30


This was the first year the swim was wetsuit legal so I chose to swim in a sleeveless suit. I started the swim in my expected finish time wave and focused on what I had practiced in masters swim class. I felt I was doing really well until I got smacked in the head, the face, swam on top of twice and pushed under. Thank you gentleman for being so rough. At that point, I just focused on staying away from people and doing my thing. My swim time was not what I was hoping for but given how rough it was I was happy to be finished.


T1: 7:01

I rolled into transition and had to grab my bag because the volunteers seemed to be flustered. I went into the changing tent, put on my gear and ran to get my bike. Thankfully this transition wasn’t too long compared to Louisville.

Bike: 5:38:55

I started the and once we hit the highway I got into a great groove, averaging 21 MPH. There were some rollers and by rollers I mean overpasses. the boy scout aid station at the turnaround was definitely one of the best. On the way back up, the pros passed me. They were flying! This was also the time I noticed no USAT officials on the highway. I was kind of confused by that.

IMG_1702I hit the turnaround and headed back down the highway grabbed my special needs nutrition and peace’d out of there fast. Also interesting to see the line for the bathroom was long. The one thing that was fascinating was that I felt a headwind on the way down. A not enjoyable one that slowed my speed down. I was thrilled when I hit the boy scout turnaround which once again was the best aid station. I grabbed some vaseline cause I felt some rubbing on my arms and wanted to prevent chafing (even though it was too late) and headed back up the highway. I also forgot to mention that during the second loop I began to notice that there were many pelotons taking place. For some reason, the officials were not on the course and as a result, a lot of people were drafting. Huge groups of them! It turns out that a lot of people were drafting and causing bad accidents (I saw one happen in front of me) and the police weren’t allowing the officials onto the course. I headed back into transition and saw that I beat my last bike time by about 40 minutes!! I was stoked.

T2: 5:3531542917_10212117441390561_1254400655414525952_n

I dismounted and was welcomed by my family and friends waiting for me when I came in. Running into t2, my legs felt fresh, but I could tell it was getting very hot outside and that was going to slow me down on the run. One of the coolest parts of the course was that I got to see this sign a bunch of times and its perfect for racing an Ironman.

Run: 4:54:40


I headed out of transition, thinking I should use the bathroom, but I didn’t. Well, I decided to at mile 2 so that slowed me down. We ran back to the swim start area, through a bunch of beautiful neighborhoods with aid stations at every mile and then back to the main canal. This was by far the best part of the run course with tons of spectators out cheering us on through “hippie valley” and along the canal. I got to see my family a bunch of times also as the run course looped 3 times and where they were stationed I got to see them 5 times. 


I definitely struggled on the run ending up running a mile then walking a little in parts. At the end of the first lap, I saw my mom who was stationed in front of the hotel. She knew I was struggling and cheered me on but I knew this was going to be a struggle bus. I also couldn’t take down any more gels so focused on water, Gatorade, pretzels and orange slices which worked well for me until the last lap when I started drinking Redbull. I was tired of Gatorade as it began to make me feel sick. So I stuck to water, Redbull and pretzels. I needed the salt and sugar to keep me going. The cool part about the run is you can take in your special needs bag either on the second or third lap. I decided not to grab it as all it has was nutrition and my stomach wasn’t going to handle that so I kept going. On the second lap, a very nice drunk couple cheered my name on very loudly. You see there’s an Irish bar along the canal and running route so lots of people were having fun. They offered me a beer and I said no mainly because I’d be lying flat on the floor if I had any to drink haha!


I made my way back into town and just thought that I was that much closer to finishing. At the split which either takes you back for your 2nd and 3rd laps or to the finish, I was so freaking happy to be going towards the finish line. I hit the main road and people were just screaming and cheering me on and once I entered the shoot which had you loop around and I saw my family. I couldn’t help but smile. I just kept moving one foot in front of the other while also deciding what was I gonna do at the finish. I did not have it in me to cartwheel so I click my heels together 3 times and the jumped across the finish! This time around I could walk after the race ended and it was light out! One of my goals for completing it this time around. I checked my watch and saw 12:10! I couldn’t believe I shaved off 36 minutes from Ironman Louisville.

IMG_1846I made my way to the finish area where you could get your food and meet up with your family. I grabbed some pizza because I needed real food in me even though I wasn’t that hungry and waited until I saw a familiar face. My mom rolled in and all I was thinking was I want to sit down and stretch hahaha! We walked back to the hotel and I just plopped down (hence this shot of me). After chatting about the race I made my way to the shower! Holy hell that felt good but stung because the chafing was much worse than I thought and I still have a scar from it.  I thought to myself I don’t know if I can do another one but I knew well you shaved time off this one, I bet you can do the same for your next.

After getting cleaned up, we went out to dinner. My go-to post-race meal now is Italian IMG_1668so we found an Italian place nearby and I enjoyed myself a yummy pasta meal. It’s funny how much difference a race can make. At Louisville, I wanted to eat and go to bed, at Texas I wanted to stay up and watch the finishers. So I headed over to the Irish bar and watched the finishers roll in.

All in all after a tough beginning to 2018, this was a great pick me up and a reminder that I really can do anything I set my mind to. Would I come back to Texas and do this race again? Absolutely! It was incredibly well run, an awesome experience and the perfect location for spectators and families. I was incredibly impressed!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s